The IUHPST is the International Union of History and Philosophy of Science and Technology. It represents the research fields of history of science and technology and philosophy of science and technology, as well as research studying the foundations and methodology of science and technology in general, including the study of logic. These fields are linked to the natural sciences, the humanities, and the social sciences, and are interdisciplinary in nature. The Union represents both national and international institutions related to these fields.
The Union consists of two independent divisions, each with its own membership and governance structure: the Division of History of Science and Technology (DHST) and the Division of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science and Technology (DLMPST). Each of the divisions is an institution in its own right with statutes, members, commissions, and activities. The Union forms an umbrella for the two divisions and uses the governance structure of the divisions for its own purposes according to the Memorandum on the Cooperation of the two divisions.
Since the fields represented by the Union touch the sciences, the humanities, and the social sciences, it is natural that the Union is connected to the International Council for Science (ICSU), the Conseil International de la Philosophie et des Sciences Humaines (CIPSH), and the International Social Science Council (ISSC). The Union is a member of ICSU, both divisions are separately members of CIPSH; currently, neither the Union nor any of the divisions are members of ISSC.
The objectives of the IUHPST are
- To establish and reinforce links between historians and philosophers of science and between the institutions,
societies, journals etc. devoted to these or related disciplines;
- To collect documents useful for the development of the history of science and technology and for logic,
methodology and philosophy of science;
- To take all measures deemed necessary or useful for the development, spread and organization of studies and
research in the fields of history of science and technology, logic, methodology and philosophy of science
and technology and related disciplines;
- To organize international congresses on the History of Science and Technology and on Logic, Methodology
and Philosophy of Science and Technology, as well as other international events;
- To contribute to maintaining the unity of science in general and to the establishment of links between different
branches of human knowledge;
- To foster contacts and exchanges among historians, philosophers, and scholars concerned with issues related
to the methods and foundations of their respective disciplines.